Think Big, Work Local


Councils employ different types of Engineers to work on different aspects of building, roads, the environment and water. Engineers may specialise into a number of different areas of work and councils employ many different types of professional Engineer as well as supporting Engineering technicians.
Civil Engineers are common in councils, and Civil Engineers design roads, retaining walls, foot bridges and other structures for council, and may oversee the construction work too. Structural Engineers design buildings and other structures for council.
Specialist roles like Hydraulic Engineers design structures to drain water to prevent flooding, to recharge groundwater or prevent erosion. Development Engineers, check that proposed engineering designs when new works or alterations are proposed. Traffic Engineers work to maximise safety and efficiency vehicle movements, and Road Engineers build road structures.


Training available in Tasmania

  • For professional engineer the Bachelor of Engineering, see for example University of Tasmania.
  • For engineering technical work, Certificate IV in Engineering Drafting or Diploma of Engineering – Technical, see for example TasTAFE.
  • Explanation

    Job titles can vary a lot. If you are uncertain about what an advertised job involves, obtain a copy of the Position Description or similar, or contact the specific council advertising that job.


    Information on training courses and providers are examples only. You should make further careful inquiries with potential training providers about cost and quality before committing to any training. For further information on entry requirements for advertised jobs, contact the relevant council . Use the links to professional associations described in meet the people for additional information. Relevant training providers are encouraged to approach LGAT with requests to link their web pages to ours.